These Top 10 issues come from an association that focuses on educational facilities, but as you can see, they can apply to anyone managing properties.
They confirm that managing physical space is essentially the same regardless of whether you are managing corporate facilities or commercial properties.
The list was put forward by APPA, the North American association for educational facilities in their ‘2007 Thought Leaders Series’ report:
- Improving Communications
- Addressing Sustainability
- Balancing & Articulating Expectations
- Integrating with IT
- Focusing on the Customer
- Aligning Facilities Planning with Institutional Goals
- Making Master Planning Effective
- Implementing Total Cost of Ownership Strategies
- Managing Maintenance and Adaptive Reuse
- Instituting Metrics for Performance Measurement
If you manage real estate, you should include at least some of these issues in your strategic initiaties for 2008.